If you manage a team or have any HR responsibilities, this is your essential guide to Human Resources in New Zealand.
ABOUT THIS COURSE:
Participants will gain an understanding of how to manage staff and deal with common issues while complying with employment laws.
Through 3 sessions over 3 weeks, you will learn how to:
- Recruit the right staff through interviewing techniques to select staff to build the best and brightest teams.
- Conduct performance reviews with confidence, and give feedback to improve performance.
- Manage poor performers and misconduct, by following formal performance management and disciplinary processes.
Presented by an experienced employment lawyer, this practical course provides a comprehensive overview of managing staff in New Zealand, from hiring through to termination.
Through discussion and case scenarios, course participants will find out how to reduce the risk of personal grievances and resolve employment relationship problems. Participants will discover how to manage staff relationships with confidence through activities and learning about case law.
This course is designed for managers and team leaders, and HR professionals with wish to lead successful teams. This course focuses on how to reduce the risk of any legal claims and apply best practice from recruitment to end of employment.
This course is designed to help you:
DURATION & FORMAT
- Recruit the right staff through reliable methods
- Interviewing skills in person, by phone or online
- Practise asking situational, competency-based, and behavioural questions
- Lawfully conduct pre-employment checks
- Find out how to identify and manage unconscious biases
- Consider regular catch ups with staff for two-way feedback
- Practice giving praise and constructive feedback to improve results
- Consider a checklist for conducting performance reviews easily
- Set and evaluate goals for staff to challenge and motivate high performance
- Explain the difference between ‘poor performance’ and ‘misconduct’
- List key requirements in managing poor performance
- Identify a fair and reasonable disciplinary process for misconduct
- Manage proper process in investigation and disciplinary meetings
Essential HR Guide for Managers is a 16- hour course, facilitated online. Concepts and case law will be introduced and explained, then applied through scenarios and discussions. Real-time interactions including group activities, polls and Q&As will allow you to connect and ask questions throughout the course.
***Participants can choose to attend each session individually rather than attending the full programme.***
NEXT LEARNING STEP
Julia Shallcrass from KiwiBoss Christchurch
As director of KiwiBoss, employment lawyer Julia Shallcrass develops leaders to improve their management and communication skills. Julia is a practical and engaging presenter with expertise in training leaders to create high-performing workplaces in the course, Leader’s Guide to Performance Management
. Julia is an employment columnist for the NZ Herald.
MANAGEMENT CAPABILITY DEVELOPMENT VOUCHER FUND
This workshop is registered with the Management Capability Development Voucher Fund programme.
Small businesses may qualify for vouchers to help pay for services such as training workshops, courses and coaching that build the management capabilities of their owners, operators and key managers. Vouchers may be provided to a business where the Growth Advisors have identified a need for management training as part of an action plan to support the business owner to grow and innovate their business.
For more information on the Management Capability Development Fund or to find your local Growth Advisor go to www.regionalbusinesspartners.co.nz